The World’s Longest Running Event Is For The World’s Orphans!
It will be perhaps the largest children’s charity event with its goal to raise $1 Billion USD for the 143 million orphans in the world’s orphanages and other children’s needs.
GGFR’s organizers will work with each host country to create a unique one week in-country Ultra-Distance RUN tailored around the children’s charitable needs for each country.
This Friendship Sports sponsored run event will re-inspire local interest, local economy and spotlight global charitable interests.
The Country Programs related to children are unlimited. The list can include school books, medical teams, health screening, training, soccer fields, athletic facilities, athletic equipment, green resources, clothing and medicine – from soup lines to shoes for children, even digging clean water wells for life and death situations.
“As I have run across so many countries, masses of children have run with me. I have been to many orphanages. I have seen their faces light up with my presence, and when it was time to leave, my heart broke. Yes, the Friendship theme is central to what I do; however, the humanitarian cause associated with this great adventure is the 143 Million Orphans of the world today!… It will be our our cause, and our mission, to bring awareness, hope and love where there is little. This cause gives us 143 Million reasons to run, and ‘run hard.’”
SHOCKING ORPHAN STATISTICS
- Every 15 SECONDS, another child becomes an AIDS orphan in Africa
- Every DAY 5,760 more children become orphans
- Every YEAR 2,102,400 more children become orphans (in Africa alone)
- 143,000,002 Orphans in the world today spend an average of 10 years 3 months in an orphanage or foster home.
- Approximately 250,000 children are adopted annually, but…
- Every YEAR 14,050,000 children still grow up as orphans and AGE OUT of the system.
- Every DAY 38,493 children AGE OUT
- Every 2.2 SECONDS, another orphan child AGES OUT…
with no family to belong to and no place to call home.
- In Ukraine and Russia, 10% -15% of children who age out of an orphanage commit suicide before age 18.
- 60% of the girls are lured into prostitution.
- 70% of the boys become hardened criminals.
- Many of these children accept job offers that ultimately result in their being sold as slaves. Millions of girls are sex slaves today, simply because they were unfortunate enough to grow up as orphans.